1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- CVSS v3 6.8
- ATTENTION: Low skill level to exploit
- Vendor: Becton, Dickinson and Company (BD)
- Equipment: FACSLyric
- Vulnerability: Improper Access Control
2. RISK EVALUATION
Successful exploitation of this vulnerability may allow an attacker to gain unauthorized access to administrative level privileges on a workstation, which could allow arbitrary execution of commands. This vulnerability does not impact BD FACSLyric flow cytometry systems using the Windows 7 Operating System.
3. TECHNICAL DETAILS
3.1 AFFECTED PRODUCTS
The following versions of the FACSLyric flow cytometry solution are affected:
- BD FACSLyric Research Use Only, Windows 10 Professional Operating System, U.S. and Malaysian Releases, between November 2017 and November 2018, and
- BD FACSLyric IVD Windows 10 Professional Operating System U.S. release.
3.2 VULNERABILITY OVERVIEW
3.2.1 IMPROPER ACCESS CONTROL CWE-284
The application does not properly enforce user access control to privileged accounts, which may allow for unauthorized access to administrative level functions.
CVE-2019-6517 has been assigned to this vulnerability. A CVSS v3 base score of 6.8 has been calculated; the CVSS vector string is (AV:P/AC:L/PR:N/UI:N/S:U/C:H/I:H/A:H).
- CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE SECTORS: Healthcare and Public Health
- COUNTRIES/AREAS DEPLOYED: Worldwide
- COMPANY HEADQUARTERS LOCATION: United States
BD will follow-up directly with all affected users to perform remediation activities. BD will disable the administrative account for users with BD FACSLyric RUO Cell Analyzer units having the Windows 10 Pro Operating System. BD has contacted and will replace the computer workstations for affected users with the BD FACSLyric IVD Cell Analyzer units with the Windows 10 Pro Operating System.